Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Widows' Path: Walking Together

The widow's path is a lonely one, but walking it together with other widows eases the pain. 

 When my friend Gayle informed me she was starting a grief group at my synagogue and encouraged me to come, I was hesitant.  I was coming up on my tenth year of widowhood.  I was doing pretty well so why join a grief group now?  Still, I went, and I'm glad I did.  There's something profoundly comforting about being with others who also have loved and lost.  Even though I'm much farther along in my journey than the others in the group, I was surprised to find how much I've gained from being with these women.  Of course, women.  We're more likely to be the surviving spouse in a marriage and, I think, more likely to seek solace from engaging with other women in the same situation. 

These women have bonded and I have bonded along with them. Besides attending group meetings, we've had meals together,  attended services during the High Holidays and supported one another, even if it's just by listening.  So I'm glad I went to that first meeting and I hope to continue spending time with my "widowhood sisters" in the future.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011