Monday, July 25, 2022

My Forever Home

 

I'm not sure if it was fate or just plain luck that I opened an invitation to a lunch to hear about a new senior living facility that was going up not far from my Meyerland home.  Senior living for me?  Living with a bunch of doddering old people?  I was still working, writing, driving, volunteering...but I had nothing planned for that day and besides, it was a free lunch.  Sure enough, when I walked in, I saw gray-haired people, some with rollators.  I couldn't possibly fit in.  But the meal was delicious, the marketing pitch intriguing and the new addition wouldn't be open for two years.  Plenty of time to think about it.

I thought about moving, visited several other senior living places and made the best decision of my life...well, of my elderly life.  I put down a deposit for a two-bedroom apartment at the future building and starting planning my move.

I know many people detest the idea of moving into "one of those places,."  but for me, it's been a pleasure.  One secret is to move before you have to, before you're too frail to partake of the activities and become part of the community.  There's lots to do here--a gym, exercise classes, a book club, bridge groups, Mah Jongg groups, Bingo, canasta, movies a bar, discussion groups, trips to museums, theaters and restaurants, speakers, performers, sing alongs--you name it.  We have it.  Of course, you choose the activities that appeal to you or no activities at all.  Brazos Towers is a friendly, welcoming community with lots of vibrant, interesting residents.  It's also a Continuum of Care community with a health center, assisted living and memory care when required.  We have valet service, transportation, housecleaning, maintenance.  All those pesky things you had to keep up your house are no longer necessary.  We even have a garden with space for residents to do their own planting.  See...you don't have to give up your yard; you just have to enjoy the outdoors.  Senior living is safe.  It's secure and in flood-prone Houston, we survived Harvey while watching the bayou across the street rise over its banks.

I've written about Brazos Towers because that's my forever home now, but most senior living spaces are similar and now, with an aging population, there are many to choose from.  I love where I live.  Visit a few, take a tour and don't be afraid to make the leap into a new stage of life.  Being here is sort of like high school.  We're high schoolers with wrinkles.


8 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Thelma,

What a delightful account of your new adventure. So very positive and life-affirming.

All the very best from a sister writer, remember our time with Ana Maria Spagna in Tahoe? Such a lovely memory.

Heights House said... [Reply to comment]

Thelma, this sounds like a wonderful place to be. I'm sure you're much more active than I've been the past year. You've always been an inspiration to me.
Carmen McGee

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Glad to read how happy you are, in your choice of your forever home! Lovely writing and expression, as always. Thank you for sharing. 💝

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Very good friends of mine are moving in next month. Dick and Judy Nunn. Think you’ll like them

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The above comment came from Cheryl Nussenblatt

Carole Ann Moleti said... [Reply to comment]

Glad to hear you're settled and content. Are you still writing?

All the best,

Carole

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Shortly before I lost Jack, we downsized from our townhouse condo to a one-bedroom apartment here at The Quarry Senior Living in Vancouver, WA. He only lasted two months, but I have been here nearly 5 years now and I still love it. We have all the features you mention. I'm Secretary of the Resident Council, and have organized a drama group. Our fifth original play opens tomorrow for two performances. It's called "Shakespeare in the Park...ing Lot" and takes place in a retirement home. Thelma, I'm delighted that you are doing so well. Keep it up, girl!

Esther Battle Schrader

Linda Steinberg said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like a wonderful decision. Glad to hear you're happy and doing well.

Linda Steinberg

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011