Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Welcome

I am a member of a club I never wanted to join: The Society of the Recently Widowed. If you're reading this, you're probably a member, too.

Widowhood puts us in good company. In nearly all species, from humans to chimpanzees, from chickens to even fruit flies. females outlive males. I thought I had outsmarted biology by marrying a man five years younger. I hadn't counted on cancer depriving me of my spouse. But what seemed like an annoying sore throat was the first symptom of acute myelogenous leukemia, an insidious disease that would claim my husband's life in less than a year.

So here I am four years later, a veteran widow. I'm on a new journey, and this time I'm going it alone. I hope you'll join me as we explore this territory we've been thrust into. We'll focus on the gaffes, glitches and gripes as well as the growth, goals and yes, the gratitude we experience as we navigate this path. We'll make some wrong turns, explore new vistas, laugh and cry together. We'll focus on the practical--cooking for one, for example--the emotional--how you make it through the holidays--the enrichment of our lives and many other topics.

Welcome! Please let me know where you are in your journey and what you'd like to discuss.
I'll be posting every week. See you in seven.

1 comments:

Marge aka Mellie said... [Reply to comment]

Thelma, I too am a verteran widow, coming up on 7 years ( how can that be??) also an ex-pat Texan, Houston area to be exact. Wish I had met you before I moved here to NC.
Thank you for posting the link to your blog on Widownet.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011