Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Summer Reads



Thought I'd share some of the books I've read this summer. Some are books I'd never have chosen on my own but were selections from my book discussion group. Some are non-fiction. I usually read one fiction and one non-fiction book at the same time. So this list is, to say the least, eclectic:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Larsson. The writing can be clunky, but in each one the plot is riveting. I could not put them down. Suggestion: See the Swedish movie versions. The girl who plays Lisbeth Salander is perfect.


Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: A Young Adult book that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in which 2 teenagers from each district must compete until all but one are dead. Yes, it sounds gross, but it was great, with a gutsy heroine. I'm looking forward to reading the second and third books in the trilogy.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albon. From my book club. Waaay too syrupy for me.

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also from my book club. Okay.

Quarantine by Jim Crace. Another book club selection. An off-beat view of 5 pilgrims, Jesus among them, who go into the desert to spend 40 days and 40 nights.

The Holy Sinner by Thomas Mann, based on a legend about Pope Gregory. If any story can out-Oedipus Oedipus, this is it.

Replay by Ken Grimwood. One of my favorite books ever. What if you could relive your life, knowing what lies ahead? Makes you think, but it's not just a philosophical view of life. It's great reading.

Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief. It's on my granddaughter's summer reading list. I'm reading it, too, so we can have a book discussion dinner.

Hardcourt Confidential by Patrick McEnroe, known best for being John's younger brother. A not-too-interesting look at men's tennis. For a much more interesting view, read Open by Andre Agassi.

Final Exam by Pauline Chen. A doctor's musings about dealing with death and the dying. Wonderful.

Heaven by Lisa Miller. Various takes on Heaven. Of course she hasn't been there...

Rapt by Winifred Gallagher. How our attention shapes our lives.

The Resiliency Advantage by Al Siebert. Slanted toward business situations but has some good pointers for everyone.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011