Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesday Quote for the Week: Lost Generation

This was the topic of the sermon at our synagogue on the Eve of the New Year.
Read it out loud, all the way through. Don't give up.

LOST GENERATION by Jonathan Reed

I’m a part of Lost Generation
And I refuse to believe that
I can change the world.
I realize this may be a shock, but
“Happiness comes from within”
Is a lie, and
“Money will make me happy”
So in thirty years I’ll tell my children
They are not the most important thin in my life
My employers will know that
I have my priority straight because
Work
Is more important than
Family.
I tell you this.
Once upon a time
Families stayed together
But this will not be true in my era
This is a quick fix society
Experts tell me
Thirty years from now I will be celebrating the tenth anniversary of my divorce
I do not concede that
I will live in a country of my own making
In the future
Environmental destruction will be the norm
No longer can it be said that
My peers and I care about this earth
It will evident that
My generation is apathetic and lethargic
It is foolish to presume that
There is hope.


Now read it out loud again from the bottom up.

I'd love to hear what you think.

1 comments:

Julia Munroe Martin said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Thelma! If you send me an email, I'll make sure that the person coordinating Mr. Bacon visits gets in touch with you asap! Thanks for your interest and for reading my blog! Cheers, Julia Munroe Martin @wordsxo
my email: juliamunroemartin@gmail.com

p.s. I LOVE the poem :) I guess as with everything, it all depends on how you choose to view things!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011