Sunday, November 2, 2014

Books of October

Didn't read as much as usual this month.  But here are my evaluations of the two books I did finish.

 
 
Yes, Wonder is a children's book, but I like kids' books.  I've read a lot of them with the kids I work with and since Wonder was named one of the best 100 children's books ever, I wanted to read it.  Truthfully, I don't think it's the best--my favorite children's book is Bridge to Terabithia-- but Wonder was pretty good.  It's the story of a boy with a severe facial deformity facing his first year in school--middle school, which is tough enough for most kids to get through.  The story is predictable--Auggie is bullied but gets through it and becomes everyone's pal.  The best part the addendum from Justin's--the bad guy's--point of view.  Your children would enjoy this book and its message.
 
 


I absolutely loved Richman's The Lost Wife so I was excited to see that she had a new book out.  I was disappointed.  The plot seemed predictable (That must be my word for the month) and I had the feeling she wrote this one in a hurry to capitalize on the success of her last one.  B+.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011