Sunday, October 4, 2015

Books of September

I became a fan of Liane Moriarty after reading Big Little Lies, but this book was a disappointment.  Hypnotist has a new boyfriend.  Boyfriend is being stalked by his ex-girlfriend.  Hypnotist thinks this is kinda fascinating.  Would you?  I wouldn't.  The story was overlong and didn't make sense.  Too bad, Liane.

Do you know "The Ballad of Tom Dooley?" 
"Hang down your head, Tom Dooley.  Hang down your head and cry...." (Be glad I'm writing this, not singing it--I'm tone deaf.)  Anyway, it's based on a true story and this book tells a somewhat fictionalized version.  Good but not great.  My book club gave it around a 6.5 out of 10.

Because I'm a language freak and because I loved Eats Shoots and Leaves, I was excited to get this book.  Alas, Mary Norris, copy editor at the New Yorker is not as readable  as Lynne Truss.  I am pretty strict about punctuation, but this told me far more about commas that I ever wanted to know.  However, I did learn some interesting facts.  Did you know there is a Pencil Sharpener Museum? 

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011