Sunday, January 17, 2016

Books of December

One of my favorite books of 2015.  Two parallel stories:  an orphan girl who, through the Orphan Train, was settled in Minnesota and a rebellious teenager who helps her and learns her story.  Highly recommended.

I loved this book.  Crystal writes brief entries about 100 words, ranging from the 12th century to today.  I found it fascinating.

I usually enjoy "escaping" with Daniel Silva's book, but this one, not so much.  It follows CIA agent Michael Osbourne as he becomes involved in the Troubles in Northern Ireland and a plot to assassinate the U.S. Ambassador to Britain, who happens to be his father-in-law.  I didn't care for the way the story wrapped up.  I'll stick with Silva's Gabriel Allon stories for now.

I heard the author speak at Camp Widow last summer and found his story very moving, but I didn't find his book as engaging as his speech.  You can check out his website.

As with all of David Sedaris's books, this one had me laughing out loud.  You don't have to wait until Christmas to read and enjoy it.  Great fun.

Happy reading!


0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011