Sunday, July 28, 2019

Books of June

For the past few weeks I've been recovering from surgery.  July has slipped by.  Here are my books read in June:

The Perfect Nanny.  Since you know from page one that the nanny murdered the children in her care, there aren't any surprises.  The book ends so suddenly, you're shocked.  I guess that's the surprise.  Anyway, I give this a D.

Lock Every Door.  Billed as a taut psychological thriller, this book didn't deliver, at least not for me.   It's the story of a young woman desperately in need of a job who gets one as apartment sitter in a Dakota-like building in New York,  There she discovers scary secrets.  Why doesn't she leave?  I guess the author tried to give her reasons but I didn't buy them. The author, Riley Sager, has apparently written some really good thrillers.  This was the first book of his that I read and, alas, I probably won't read a second.

Truth Worth Telling.  Journalist Scott Pelley, formerly of CBS and prominently featured on Sixty Minutes has written a book about his career, mainly from 9/11 on, but also some about his early years as a teenager working in journalism.  Each chapter features a different character trait--perseverance, valor, arrogance, courage--and ends with advice to young journalists.  I found the book fascinating and well-written.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011