Sunday, March 1, 2020

Writing Your Life: Lessons 1-6

I've been leading a writing class here at Brazos Towers, encouraging people to write about their lives so future generations will know about them and the world they lived in.  This is an 8-week course, and we're on lesson 6 now.  I thought I'd share the lessons we've done so far.  The sessions are just an hour so they can't finish all the suggestions at one time, but they can use these prompts to keep going.  You might like to use these, too.

Session 1:  My immediate family and stories about my parents and siblings 
                  Ancestors:  Where did they come from?  Interesting characters? stories?
                  My earliest childhood memory

Session 2:  Who were your childhood heroes—fictional, relatives, friends, teachers, famous people living or dead?  Why?  How did they influence you? Are your heroes the same now or do you have different ones?  Do you think you are someone else’s hero?


Wise words of advice you received as a child.

Firsts:
  Day of school
  Date
  Love
  Car
  Job

What are your favorite memories of
    Childhood school days
    Childhood summers
    High school
    College
 Session 3:  How I met your mother/father
Early marriage before children
Session 4:  Married with (or without)children
    3 memories from marriage before children
    5 memories from children (before they were teenagers)
 Special times
    Career
    Moves (to new living space, different city, etc.)
    Holiday memories
    Vacations
 What I learned from this time in my life and what I hope my children learned

Session 5:  Living with teenagers (yikes!)
Empty nest:  How did you fill it?

Session 6: Turning points:  Triumphs and tragedies of your life
Note:  I think this is the most important session of all.

I'll add the last two sessions when they're finished.
And remember, 
   The first rule of writing:  Sit.
   Second rule of writing:  Stay       

   


               

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011