Wednesday, October 28, 2020

quote for the week: The Machines (from the Widows' Handbook)

The Machines
by Jacqueline Kudler

First the grill ignition failed, 
then, not ten days later and
two months after you died,
the fridge condense went
but slowly--
for days I watched
the glacier crawling down
along the back wall.
It wasn't too much longer
before the timers in the double
 oven and the freezer
quit, as if some universal
clock had simply stopped
somewhere, all dials fixed
at midnight.

By his fourth call,
the National Appliance guy
opined he'd never witnessed 
such a run of luck--
everything breaking down
like that around me.
He hoped (with eyes 
accustomed to assessing
hairline cracks and fissures)
that I was holding up OK.

I told him how my days,
amazingly enough, go well.
I wake, bathe, lunch with
friends, call the kids,
and at night when I sit
down at the table, I light
a candle at your place.
Oh, I'm doing well
enough, I said,
but given their histories,
the nature of their finely
wired dispositions,
I wouldn't presume 
to speak
for the machines.



 

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011