Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Going Solo in the Kitchen


I like to cook, and that hasn't changed during my four years of widowhood. Friends seem surprised when I say I've tried a new recipe. "You cook?" they say, the same way they might say, "You fly?" My standard answer is, "Of course, I cook. I eat, don't I?"

Cooking for one doesn't seem much different than cooking for two. You end up with leftovers and you can eat them the next night.

Here's a recipe I tried and liked because it's delicious and so quick:
Broiled Salmon with Mustard Dill Sauce (This is the whole recipe, but I usually cut it in half)
1 1/2 lb salmon
1 c. plain low-fat yogurt
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. dried dill weed
Place salmon on broiler and brush with sauce. Broil 8 to 10 minutes, brushing with more sauce as needed. Turn steaks over, brush other side with sauce, broil 8 more minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.

I browsed "cooking for one" on Amazon and found a number of cookbooks. Most of the reviews rated them 3 stars. Personally, I prefer receipes from the newspaper or magazines so I don't have to invest in cookbooks that may only have a few dishes I like.

If you're really desperate, however, I came upon an article on Wikihow called "How to Survive without Cooking." Wouldn't work for me.

See you in seven In the meantime, if you'd like to post a favorite easy recipe, that would be great.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011