Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thoughts About a Quote


From www.inspirationpeak.com

"Sometimes it isn't what you do but what you don't do that makes you who you are." Author Unknown

This quote intrigued me, and I've been thinking about it all week. What is it that we don't do that defines us? Not the big things. None of us deliberately lie, cheat, or steal. I asked myself what I don't do and came up with a list:

1. I don't do outdoorsy stuff. I love nature but I'd love it more if it were indoors instead of outdoors.

2. I don't like large, noisy groups unless I have a specific purpose there; i.e., I'm the speaker for a group. Hence I feel uncomfortable at big parties where I don't know many people. I'm shy; however, I did meet my husband at a noisy party so I guess that makes me partly shy.

3. I don't watch much TV. I quit when I needed time for writing and now watch mainly news, sports, The Daily Show and Project Runway.

4. I don't drive on the highway because I get sleepy. Therefore I used to take the bus to visit my parents in Austin, began reading romance novels to pass the time, and became a romance novelist.

5. I don't do arts or crafts. I'm just not good at it. The only time I played hooky in elementary school was when the art teacher said the next day we had to draw something besides a house and a tree.

6. I don't cry. I used to cry over anything but I guess I used up all my tears when Ralph was ill and the first year after he died.

I'm not sure any of the above really define me but they are quirks that, perhaps, add up. I'm sure there's a bigger philosophical meaning here. Certainly it's food for thought.

Anyone care to comment? I'd love to hear what others think.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011