Monday, March 22, 2010

Books Can Change Your Life



Reading has always been a major part of my life. When I was small, my mother read to me. Once I learned to read, I devoured books. I loved the library--the smell of books, the quiet rooms, the sound of my shoes on the tile floors. Alice, Tom Sawyer, the March sisters were as much my friends as the kids I played with at school and in the neighborhood.

Recently I saw a discussion on Amazon titled Books That Changed My Life. I can think of three.

The first is a Silhoueete Romance I picked up at a discount store. I can't even remember the name of it, but it hooked me on romance novels. So it wasn't surprising that I noticed an article in the Houston paper about Romance Writers of America, an organization that was having its first national conference here in Houston. The article talked about the women who wrote the books I'd been reading, and I thought, "I could do that." But that was just a thought.

Another book changed that thought into reality. While I was waiting to get my hair cut one day, I read an excerpt in Good Housekeeping of a book called Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want. I'm not much for how-to books but this one intrigued me. I bought the book, and I was on my way to getting what I wanted--becoming a published romance author.

The third book, When Bad Things Happen to Good People, changed the way I looked at tragedies and disappointments. It got me through some of the worst days of my life, and I often re-read it when I need a reminder that sorrows are as much a part of life as happiness.

What about you? Has a book changed your life?

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011