Friday, April 2, 2010

"You Always Have Your Nose in a Book" My Mother


Yes, that's what my mother always said, and since "Mother is always right," another of her favorite sayings, it was true. I loved reading and still do. So I thought I'd share some books I've recently read, some I'm reading now (I usually read more than one at a time) and some on my To Be Read pile.

Recently read:
Fool by Christopher Moore, a parody of King Lear told from the Fool's point of view. I read this for a book club and was probably the only person in the group who didn't absolutely love it. Still, the author gets points for turning the most tragic of Shakespeare's plays into a comedy.

A New Theology: Turning to Poetry in a Time of Grief by Sheila Bender. Written after the accidental death of her son, the book includes poems she wrote to help her manage her grief. Sheila is not only a gifted writer, but a wonderful teacher as well. I've taken her personal essay courses on-line at Writing It Real.

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfield A novel based on the life of Laura Bush. Compelling read, but I think it was mean-spirited of the author to write such a transparent book on the life of the former First Lady. I admit I couldn't put it down. She nailed all the Bushes.

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goodrick Gothic tale about a lonely, wealthy man who advertises for a wife and what happens to them. Ponderous but interesting. I'd give it a B minus.


What I'm Reading Now (or have just finished)

Uncommon Wisdom John Castaldo and Laurence Levitt Short anecdoes by two neurologists about their interactions with patients. A beautiful book that shows the human side of medicine, which in sadly lacking in some doctors.

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll I'm reading this for my book club but I almost know it by heart. I bought a copy of The Annotated Alice, which I've meant to do for a long time. One of my favorite books of all time.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson Also for my book club. Started it early and am reading a little at a time because it's 600 pages. I really like it so far.

The Resilience Factor by Karen Reivich and Andre Shatte. After reading most of this, I've decided I'm a very resilient person.

My TBR pile

The Help by Kathryn Stockett This comes highly recommended from numerous friends.

You Only Die Once by Margie Jenkins. She's a psychotherapist in Houston, and I heard her speak about preparing for death but living "bodaceously" in the meantime. Since I attend a Death, Dying and Dessert group that talks about issues related to aging and dying, this is a book I really want to read.

I Will Not Die an Unlived Life by Dawna Markova. Another book for my DDD group.

House Rules by Jodi Picoult. The child in the story has Aspergers and since about 10to 20% of the kids on my caseload at any given time fall on the autistic spectrum, I'm very anxious to read this book. Besides, I like Picoult's writing.

Comments or recommendations anyone?

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011