Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thursday Review: The Transition Network


A couple of years ago I was browsing through Borders, looking for nothing in particular when I came across a book called Smart Women Don't Retire: They Break Free. The title intrigued me, but what could this book do for me? Was I really thinking about retirement? And did I need another volume to add to my TBR file? No. I put the book back and went home.

In my study, my mind drifted back to the book. It seemed to call to me. Thinking "I'm nuts," I got out my car keys, picked up my purse and went back to Borders. I bought the book and that was one of the luckiest purchaes I ever made.



Not only did it have useful information, it introduced me to The Trnasition Network, a national organization for woman 50 and over looking for what's next. I checked their website and there was a Houston chapter. I attended the next meeting and met a group of dynamic women who have since become an important part of my life. These women are or have been professionals. They are thoughtful and interested in all aspects of the second half of life. Some are transitioning into retirement, but TTN isn't just about that. It focuses on transition to new careers, new relationships, new stages of life. Our group has a monthly "conversation." We've talked about resilience, aging parents, travel, bucket lists, and have even had forthright conversations about sex.

We have subgroups as well--on retirement, end of life issues, cooking. We've even written an anthology of transition stories, which will be out later this year.

Check out TTN's website at www.thetransitionnetwork.org.

2 comments:

Bella said... [Reply to comment]

Thelma, this sounds like an interesting read! Won't you tell us about it when you read it?

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Looks like an interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011