Sunday, February 10, 2013

Birth of a Memoir, Part 3: Labor

If writing a memoir is hard, it's nothing compared to finding the right publisher.  The labor pains are enormous, and sometimes you feel you should never have started this project.  Will it ever be an actual book?

Winston Churchill said, "Never never never give up," so I didn't.  I got some complimentary feedback:  "We like this book but we've just published something similar."  "Well-written but not for us."  Etc, etc.

Finding a publisher is like dating.  You really do have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the right match.  Last summer I sent a proposal to Mazo Publishing, based in Florida and Jerusalem.  They publish books containing some Jewish content, and since my husband and I were an interfaith couple, it fit their needs. 

And yes, I'm just about ready to give birth.  Stumbling Through the Dark should be out soon.  Hooray!!!

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011