Sunday, March 16, 2014

Books of January and February

I read a lot more than usual these last two months, partly because I had a throat infection and completely lost my voice for a week (bad news for a speech pathologist) so I spent my time reading books I found in the back of a cabinet, some of which were at least 20 years old, and watching the Winter Olympics.  So here's two months worth of books:
A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve.  I'm sure, if this had been the first book she'd ever submitted, it would never have been published.  A couple joins 4 others to climb Mount Kenya with disastrous circumstances.  A book club choice--not a good choice.

The Fat Lady Sang by Robert Evans.  I read this because I wanted to know about the famous movie producer's recovery from stroke.  I learned he was an arrogant, womanizing, fast-living guy (Guy is not the word I've had chosen, but this is a family friendly blog).  Didn't learn much about his stroke but half way through I didn't care.



Informed Consent by Neil Ravin, one of the books in the back of the cabinet.  Nefarious goings on at a large hospital where research is everything, patient care not so much.  I enjoyed this one, read it in a day.

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer.  Intrigued by the national memory championship, journalist decides to improve his memory and become a champ.  Non-fiction.  Fun read, and yes, I did learn a few tricks about remembering.

 
One More Thing:  Stories and More Stories.  A group of short short stories?  essays?  whatever.  I read this after reading a review in the Houston Chronicle that said it would make you laugh out loud.  I read on, waiting to laugh.  Didn't happen.
 

The Rainmaker by John Grisham.  Not the best he's written but still enjoyable.  Story of a rookie lawyer and his troubles.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.  Having enjoyed Gone Girl, I decided to read this.  Mistake!!  One of the most disgusting books I've read in ages.  Not sure how I had the stomach to finish it.

 
Suspicious Heart by Linda Steinberg.  Romance written by a friend.  I loved it.  Hunky hero, spunky heroine, cute kids, sexual tension, twists and turns and, of course, a happy ending.
 

Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg. Friends rally around a woman dying of cancer.  I'd give it a B-.  It was just okay.

The Widows' Handbook:  Poetic Reflections on Grief and Survival edited by Jacquelin Lapidus and Lisa Menn.  Of course I had to give a shout-out to this amazing book of poems about widowhood--and not just because I have a poem in it.  The day I received my author copy I read the whole book.  If you're a widow or know a widow, look it up on Amazon.

Gosh, I sound grumpy this time. don't I?  Maybe because I was sick?  Anyway, happy reading.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011