Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Best and Worst Things about My Home

No, this is not my study.  I have much, much more storage space than that--18 drawers, 12 shelves.  That's the best thing about my house--incredible amount of storage space.  It's also the worst thing in that I seem to have used every inch of it.  Now that I'm getting ready to move from a 5 bedroom to a 2 bedroom, I am having to clean out the storage spaces.  Decisions, decisions.  Do I want to keep the notes from a speech on language development I heard ten years ago?  Do I want to keep that close up photo that shows all my wrinkles?  How many pairs of shoes does a person actually need?  Are those love letters from my college boyfriend something I want to keep for my children to read and chuckle over after I'm gone?  It's an exhausting task. 

I'm removing pictures from the walls.  Framed covers of all the romance novels I wrote, pictures of my children, a picture of me at age 2.  Did you know you can cover holes where the pictures were hung with toothpaste?  Works amazingly well.

No prospective buyer wants to be distracted by your keepsakes.  Get them off the shelves.  Full  bookcases?  Clean them out, leaving so few books that anyone viewing your home will wonder if you know how to read. 

What do I do with my shelves of speech therapy materials?  Too bad, prospective buyer.  They will have to stay.

Lately my whole life has revolved around the task of clearing out my house...and I'm barely half done.

More to come, probably...if I survive.

1 comments:

Carol Apple said... [Reply to comment]

Hello Thelma. I see you have big changes coming in your life. I can just imagine the magnitude of moving from a 5-bedroom to a 2-bedroom. I am just trying to change a couple rooms around in my house and the job seems huge. I love the picture. That right there is my dream office.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011