Sunday, September 1, 2019

How Old is Old?


The other day I glanced at Hints from Heloise, and here's what I learned:
"Dearest Readers, Did you know that AGE DISCRIMINATION IS AGAINST THE LAW?  The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission defines age discrimination as 'Treating an applicant or employee less favorably because of his or her age.' This law applies to people who are AGE 40 OR OLDER." (capital letters mine!)

Oh dear, if 40 is the beginning of old age, I am really really old.  But guess what.  I didn't feel old at 40 and I don't feel old now.  
And I bet many people of my generation don't feel so old either.
We have our aches and pains and we can be grumpy at times, but, thinking back, I was like that at 40, too.  Note: Advice for dealing with aches and pains:  I found this in the newspaper a few years back--try Two Old Goats Balm on this achy parts.  I'm not sure who the old goats are, but it does seem to work.  Granted it won't cure arthritis, but it's great for muscle or nerve pain.  You can get it from Amazon, where, of course, you can get anything you ever dreamed of.

As for me, I just retired last year, I do volunteer work here and in Galveston, I get out and about almost as much as ever, and I keep a "gratitude list" of nice things that have happened every day.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that employers can't discriminate against kids of 40 in hiring, job assignments, training, layoffs or benefits.  This doesn't seem to apply to social situations such as dating.  You have to take your changes there.

I once read a book about aging called Coming Into the End Zone and for those of us who really do fit that picture, we should do our best to keep active and cheerful and enjoy each day...hour...minute we have.

1 comments:

Susan Kane said... [Reply to comment]

When I was 59, my gr-daughters considered me just a little old. the next day I turned 60, and suddenly I was way-old. Go figure.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011