Sunday, October 27, 2019

I Loved New York (Except for the Food Poisoning)

My sister and I like to visit New York in the fall.  This year the weather was perfect.  This time we stayed at the Lexington Hotel, which has housed a lot of celebrities including Dorothy Lamour (Remember her?) and Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio.
  
We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and met our cousins for dinner that evening at Davio's.  We had fun catching up and sharing memories.

Friday we spent the morning at the Jewish Heritage Museum to see a fascinating exhibit about Auschwitz, then ate lunch at their cafe, Lox. Yes, most of their selections feature lox.  

We had a lovely dinner and then saw "Fiddler on the Roof" in Yiddish.  It was wonderful, even though half way through I started feeling sick.  By the time we left, I was feeling awful.  Luckily, my sister is an expert at flagging down taxis, and fortunately, the driver had a supply of plastic bags when I needed one.  Apparently the delicious chicken I had for dinner gave me food poisoning. 

 By the next day I was well enough to go to "Hadestown," which won the Tony for best musical.  Unfortunately, I got my dates mixed up and we started off at "To Kill a Mockingbird."  Our tickets were for the next day, but we rushed over to "Hadestown" and luckily, the theater had our order in their files.  It was interesting--the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.  The dancing was great but I probably wouldn't want to see it again--maybe it was the aftereffects of the food poisoning.  

My sister went to dinner with friends Saturday evening but I wasn't ready to be around food so I stayed at the hotel and tried to watch the Astros.  Alas, something was wrong with Fox Sports and every few minutes the picture and sound would disappear.  Probably for the best since the Astros lost.

Sunday we used our "Mockingbird" tickets.  I worried that I wouldn't like the play because it's my favorite book and I was afraid they'd mess up the story.  But they didn't.  It was the best play I've seen in ages.  If you go to New York, don't miss it.



During our free time we played Scrabble, a must on our sister-trips.  I won all 3 games.  At $2.00 a game, that equals $6.00 (which doesn't do one much good in New York City).  I keep a running total of our games and I'm $12.00 ahead.  My sister denies this; she only totals the current game, but she's wrong!

Monday we left, with memories of another sister-adventure fresh in our minds.

1 comments:

Susan Kane said... [Reply to comment]

Quite a New York adventure! Seeing a stage play of "to Kill a Mockingbird" would be awesome. Sorry about food poisoning. Bad chicken for my husband on a camping trip had us heading home at midnight.

Chicago had a somber and very well presented Holocaust museum. No matter how many decades pass, the Holocaust must never be forgotten.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011