Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Quote for the Week: I Have Only Just a Minute

Representative Elijah Cummings passed away this week.  A civil rights activist, he was respected by House members on both sides of the aisle.  An article I read mentioned that he read the following poem by Dr. Benjamin Mays as part of the first speech he gave before Congress.  Here it is:

I have only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can't refuse it.
Didn't seek it, didn't choose it.
But it's up to me to use it.
I must suffer if I lose it,
Give account if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
But eternity is in it.

I'd love to hear your comments.

And Go 'Stros--better than last night, I hope.

1 comments:

Susan Kane said... [Reply to comment]

This is a profound poem. Only one minute.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011