Sunday, October 16, 2022

The Kindness Project continued


 As I wrote several weeks ago, the Kindness Project pairs seniors with college freshman.  We are asked to think of ten examples of kindness we have received, given or observed--one each week of the project.  

 I met Marilyn at a romance writers' meeting.  We both became part of a critique group composed of six aspiring romance writers.  Soon Marilyn and I became close friends.   Here  are two of her many acts of kindness toward met:

Several days before my husband died, he had to have his will notarized--I can't recall why he hadn't done so before.  The notary from my attorney's office came to the hospital and explained to Ralph what was needed.  Marilyn had just stepped into the room for a brief visit before she and I were to go to dinner.  Ralph was woozy and weak when the notary handed him the document.  Marilyn, an  occupational therapist, noticed his difficulty with the pen and said, "Here, Ralph, let me position your hand."  She essentially guided him through his signature.  I have never forgotten this act of kindness.

Two years ago, I had major surgery. Marilyn heard about my operation through a mutual friend.  By then she had moved to Portland, Oregon, but she called and offered to come to Houston to take care of me.  Although I was getting along well, I am forever grateful for her offer.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011