Monday, December 20, 2010

Quote for the Week: Why Books Make the Best Gifts



Thanks to She Writes for the reasons below to give books as gifts:

Books don't break until you love them so much their spines collapse. And even after that happens they don't get shorter.

Books don't get lost. If you read a book it's yours forever, no matter what happens to the pages it's written on.

Books don't come in the wrong size, or in the wrong color, or with batteries not included. (That's your eReader -- not the book!)

Books don't judge their readers. But books invite the kind of judgment that elevates the discourse, and that sometimes changes the course of things altogether.

A lot of presents say more about you than they do about the person you give them to. But a book speaks for itself.


I think books are the perfect presents. Most years I spend as muuch on books as on clothing. And often I give myself a special holiday gift book from my wish list. But not this year. Alas, I gave myself a toilet. Mine died and flooded the bathroom, so now I have a new, shiny white toilet (elongated shape) and no new books. ):

2 comments:

Su said... [Reply to comment]

A new toilet is not nearly as good as new books. :(

Boo said... [Reply to comment]

and books are THE best gifts for widow/ers because when you read, you can ONLY read. Whereas when you watch TV you can do other stuff. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes when we read, it's the only break from grieving that we get.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011