Sunday, November 17, 2019

Books, Authors and More

The JCC Book and Arts Festival in Houston was last week.  "So many books, so little time..."

I first saw Gloria Steinem.  She appeared at Temple Emanu-el.  Her session sold out long before the Book Fair.  The sanctuary was packed--2,000 people attended.  I noticed that some women brought their young daughters.  She has a new book out:  The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off. Pro: She's still going strong at 85! Con:  A lot of what she said I'd heard before. I was most impressed that during the Q&A, several 14 year-old spoke up.  The next generation is coming along!

My next evening was a documentary on the making of Fiddler on the Roof.  Fascinating, and of course, it contained some of the iconic songs.  Since I just saw the musical in New York a couple of weeks ago, I am singng Sunrise Sunset and If I Were a Rich Man in the shower.

Next was Karen Armstrong speaking at the Progressive Forum.  A former nun, she is one of the most respected writers on world religions.  She was interesting and also quite amusing at times.  Her book, The Lost Art of Scripture, was given out.  It may take the rest of my life for me to read it: it's about 500 pages (no pictures!)

Lori Gottlieb spoke about her best selling book Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  She was a great speaker and her book sold out.  It's about several patients in her therapy practice as well as her own sessions with a therapist during a difficult time in her life.  It's on my TBR list.

Finally, I saw The Simon and Garfunkel Story which featured two guys dressed as Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (A.G. had those blond curls).  Their background, how they got into music and of course, some of their best-loved songs like "Sounds of Silence" and "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" were featured.  It was fun.

To complete my literary week, my book club met this morning to discuss An American Marriage and have brunch at Bellagreen.

Now I'm ready to get back to just reading at home.

 
 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011