Sunday, November 3, 2019

Books of October


No, even though I used to write romance novels,  I was not the person who suggested this book for my book club, but I was intrigued by the title.  It's both cooky and strange--the story of a young girl's coming of age and finding love interspersed with chapters from her favorite book, The Pirate Lover. And, oh yes, she's aided in her quest by her deceased sister and--get this--also by her deceased dog, who wears high heels in the afterlife.

I was attracted to this book because, face it, I'm an elder.  Why I read the whole thing, I'm not sure.  The author is a geriatrician and her premise is that the majority of doctors have no clue about treating elderly people but are focused on curing illnesses without attention to the patient's quality of life.  She's probably right about that, but the book might have worked better as an essay.  It was very long and redundant and also pretty depressing.  My one-sentence description above tells it all.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011