Sunday, April 5, 2020

Coronavirus Haikus



For one of my memoir classes I wrote some haikus (3-line poems: 5 syllables, then 7, then 5:

I'm washing my hands.
Happy birthday, Happy birth--
I need a new song.

Cat's head on my arm.
She looks up at me and purrs.
We aren't lonely.

Play Mah Jongg online;
Can't cough at each other.
Technology's great.

A champagne party,
Drinks and snacks at our doorways.
We toast from afar.

We're all on lockdown.
Imprisoned by the virus, 
We gaze at empty streets.

A game of Scrabble.
But are we six feet apart?
Who cares?  I got Z.

Check the Dow hourly,
Watch my finances dwindle.
Will I need welfare?

I loo--ove ice cream.
My kids sent me three flavors.
What a sweet surprise!


Suggestion:  Try your hand at Haikus.  Good exercise for the mind  and oen.
Stay safe.


0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011