Sunday, November 3, 2013

Books of September and October

A fictionalized version of Edith Wharton's life plus that of her assistant.  I enjoyed it, although as a romance author, I thought Edith was a bit wishy-washy when it came to romance...just saying.

Autism, as explained by a 13-year-old boy with the disorder.  Perhaps this will get me a lot of criticism, but I have spent much time working with autistic youngsters and I found this a bit hard to believe.  It's hit the best seller list, however, so judge for yourself.

What life might have been like for Anne Frank's older sister, had she lived.  I enjoyed this book a lot.

My book club is reading this because the movie about Salinger just came out (Alas, none of us saw it)).  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.  Well worth re-reading.

Five people are haunted by an incident that happened in the woods one night long ago.  Enjoyable read.

Why, you may ask, am I reading The Iliad?  Because I love Greek mythology and because I took a course at Rice University's Continuing Ed program on the Iliad.  It was one of the best courses I've taken at Rice and I enjoyed the instructor's interpretation.  Sadly, Hector died this time, too.  I keep hoping the ending will change, but it doesn't.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011