Sunday, December 8, 2019

A Place for Mom?





I hear that commercial constantly, Joan Lunden (whoever she is) saying, "You know your mom.  We know senior living.  Together we'll make the right choice."  Every time I hear that sweet, soothing voice, I get cranky.

I am an old lady, but not like the lady shown above.  I am also a mom.  And guess what?  I make my own choices.  My children did not decide that I needed "a place."  In fact, they didn't even know I was considering moving from my long-time home and into an independent living facility. My kids didn't "put" me here.  I did it "my way."

.

I'm not this old lady either.  I try to be honest about being old. No way do I feel 29 again or even 39.  However, when I moved here, I was still working as a speech pathologist.  I still drive. Now that I'm retired, I volunteer.  I'm enrolled in a writing class, and I plan to offer a writing group here at Brazos Towers.

I have asked other residents if they moved here on their own or if their children decided on the move.  Most of them said they decided themselves.  There are lots of busy, active, interesting people here--retired physicians, retired professors, a former FBI agent (agentiss? She's a woman.), engineers, social workers. People have interesting hobbies--bird watching, photography, golf, painting, jewelry making.  Yes, people do knit, but not me.

Back to the commercial.  What about Dad?  Apparently fathers don't require help from their offspring.

Brazos Towers is a continuing care community.  In addition to independent living, they offer assisted living, memory care and health care.   I imagine some residents who need a higher level of care get help from family members, but the majority of us have managed on our own.

No, that's not me either.

This is more like me. a lady who is tempted to email A Place for Mom and say, "Get a better commercial."


1 comments:

Lynn Benoit said... [Reply to comment]

My dad moved into assisted living just last week. He asked me to help him find a place. I did some research, presented him with the options and he decided which one he wanted. It appears that A Place for Mom is a source of info on the many choices out there presented in one place. I imagine it is helpful for some people.

My dad had been living in another state before he moved to assisted living about twenty minutes from me. His friends in the other state were nagging my brother and myself to "take over" for our dad. We didn't do it that way. But we helped him out. That doesn't make him helpless. His pride is taking enough of a hit to have to ask for help, no point in rubbing it in.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011