Sunday, December 1, 2019

Books of November

The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off Gloria Steinem's latest book.  Mostly short chapters interspersed with many, many quotes.  Except for those labeled Quotes from Friends (all of them famous friends) the other quotes were from her own writings.  Personally, I think you have to be pretty self-centered to include pages of your own quotes...or maybe she needed to fill space.

The Testaments.  The long-awaited sequel to The Handmaid's Tale.  Good, but sequels are often not as good as the first. Spoiler alert:  the Handmaid herself does not appear in the book although a lot is about her.

With the End in Mind.  A beautifully written book about end of life issues.  I think it's a must-read for semoir citizens or for oto anyone who has a loved one nearing the end of life  

The Nickel Boys.  One of the best books I've read this year.  Disturbing but powerful story about two boys in a brutal reform school in Florida.  I give it an A+.  I hope Colson Whitehead wins the Pulitzer for this one.

Money, Murder and Dominick Dunne.  For my book club.  A biography that reads like an exercise in name-dropping, but I guess that's true to Dunne's life.

Happy Reading!

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011