Sunday, April 10, 2011

Answers to Famous First Lines Quiz

If you got an answer right without using the list, give yourself 1 point. If you got one right by using the list, score 1/2 point.

Interpretation of Scores:

16: Congratulations, you are a literary scholar. Post-doctoral fellow.

13-15: Finishing your doctoral dissertation. You are a bibliophile.

10-12: Masters level. You're on your way.

7-9: Undergraduate: Keep at it.

4-6 Suggestion: Get a library card.

0-3 Congratulations, you were honest and didn't google the answers.

Answers:
It was a pleasure to burn. Fahrenheit 451

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents.” Little Women

Life changes fast.
Life changes in an instant. The Year of Magical Thinking.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. Pride and Prejudice

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. Rebecca

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.Anna Karenina

When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.To Kill a Mockingbird

It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen. 1984

They’re out there. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

It was a dark and stormy night.Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer Lyton (No, Snoopy didn't write it)

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. A Tale of Two Cities

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it if you want to know the truth. The Catcher in the Rye

You don’t know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but that ain’t no matter. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

All this happened, more or less. Slaughterhouse Five

You better not never tell nobody but God. The Color Purple

And the most famous of all hooks: Call me Ishmael Moby Dick

2 comments:

Dafeenah said... [Reply to comment]

Well at least I am honest. What is sad is that I have read almost all of those, but I never can remember what lines come from where. My memory is horrendous

Dafeenah

Grandpa said... [Reply to comment]

I belong to the last category, I'm afraid.
Thanks for this Thelmaz.

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011