Monday, April 4, 2011

D is for Dictionary




For you wordophiles (not sure this is actually a word) The Oxford English Dictionary
has released its 2011 version, with some surprising additions. The creme de la creme of dictionaries has bestowed the honor of "word" to some of the following:

This is a word? OMG, I can't believe it!


Of course these two are Best Friends Forever.


This cat can't spell. LOL*
*Now it's Laughing Out Loud, but back in the day, LOL referred to Little Old Lady.

s1600/I-HEART-JUSTIN-BIEBER-2082.jpg">
I don't heart Justin Bieber, and I can't believe the heart symbol is now a dictionary entry, can you?


Wags: This was new to me. It stands for Wives and Girlfriends of Athletes.


Dot.bomb: A dot.com company that went bust.

s1600/the_rules_of_couch_surfing.jpg">
Couch surfing: sleeping on someone's couch when you don't have a place of your own


Ick factor: Speaks for itself


Yuck factor: Synonym of ick factor


Rubber ducky: A cutsey rubber duck

Other candidates, anyone?

8 comments:

Dafeenah said... [Reply to comment]

I can't believe those are actual words in the dictionary. Soon we will all be speaking in text speak or just grunts! Language is slowly dying.

Dafeenah

Michelle Mach said... [Reply to comment]

I remember reading about these. I wonder how many of those new words will last?

Wired magazine has a little column in every issue where they have some new words or acronyms (tech-related, usually) and I rarely see any I know!

Murees Dupè said... [Reply to comment]

Couch surfing! Now that is something I have become good at. I sleep on my mom's couch because my bed is too hard.

I liked your characters post as well. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

Grammy said... [Reply to comment]

Hi, OMG is offensive to me, because it stands for OH MY GOD, and I am a Christian who believes that is taking God's name in vain (using it carelessly). I guess that acronyms that make their way into the everyday life of people qualifies them to be entered into the dictionary. There are a lot of words that once were thought just slang words that found their way in. Good post, and I loved the pictures. :)
Ruby

Margaret Hall said... [Reply to comment]

Well, we have FINALLY done it, huh?..(don't know, is 'huh' in there?)...The way the kids text, I feel that is their new way and it will stick with them...thanks for a very entertaining post...

See you soon...

http://timeforabucketlist.blogspot.com/
http://imagesinthought.blogspot.com/
http://the-old-story-tree.blogspot.com/
http://bagladythoughts.blogspot.com/

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said... [Reply to comment]

cute and funny d words.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Let's dust of our dictonaries of past and come up with a list of words that don't exist any more. Now that would be fu-u-u-un.

Heather Henry said... [Reply to comment]

The art of intelligent communication is dying. Next in the dictionary will be, BRB, TTYL and other various text talk. Great short hand for texting, but I don't consider them to be dictionary worthy.
I love to go back and look up Old English words and try them out in conversation. Some of them no longer show up in the dictionaries of today.
Great post and blog.
:)
Have a fabulous day!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011